Monday, July 9, 2007

From Sarajevo: Some comments on this blog

I will be posting some comments from Sarajevo shortly, however I wanted to let some of the people who have been sending me comments for this blog know why I have not been posting them.

I have been receiving some lengthy and detailed postings re matters in this region. They are full of information and detail with which I am not familiar. [I make no pretense of being an expert or even terribly well informed about the history of this region... though I am learning a tremendous amount.]

I do not want this blog to become a site for a debate about a topic which -- however important it is and it is importnat -- I am not an expert.

Therefore, I apologize but I won't be posting those comments.

3 comments:

Queenie said...

Maybe other people would like some of the common knowledge offered up in your comments section.
I am glad you do not teach at my university. You do not like to share.

Q

Deborah Lipstadt said...

There are many places to learn about the tragedies associated with what happened here.

I do not have the expertise to moderate such a discussion. I am learning a great deal but am far from an expert.

I cannot therefore properly moderate these comments. I would not want to share mis-information.

It is not as if this material is not widely available all over the internet.

acadia said...

Dear Deborah,

I am glad you are rejecting Srebrenica Genocide denial comments as they are not relevant to the topic. Hopefully, people will stick to the topic, which is your attendance to the conference of International Genocide Scholars - and not a debate about whether or not genocide happened.

As I said before, and I will say it again: Srebrenica genocide is not a matter of anybody's opinion; it's a judicial fact recognized first by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia and subsequently by the International Court of Justice.