Monday, October 29, 2007

No comment necessary

Received the following email:

From: Jose Ortiz [brunocaronte@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:26 PM
To: dlipsta@emory.edu
Subject: Your narrowminded view of the Holocaust:

Yes, we should criticize Holocaust denials' people.

But the way you lump all of us who criticize the firebombing of Germany with Holocaust denials racists I'll take it as your own narrowminded [sic] view of the event. And also an insult.

Let me say that the Holocaust and World War II go hand together. Whether it was Hitler's final solution to the Jewish problem, or Gen. Harris' decision to firebomb Nazi Germany, are the two sides of the same coin. And that coin was Hitler's Third Reich and World War II.

If you wish us to see the Holocaust as something alien from World War II, people are beginning to see that is not the case. We are smarter than that, Ms. Lipstadt. Thanks.

[I know I said no comment but it's my blog and I'll break my own rules: the premise of this criticism is completely invalid. I don't lump those who criticize the firebombing with deniers. I do criticize David Irving for lying about Dresden, overtly so.

But the important thing is the tone of the email... ]

1 comment:

MarkH said...

You would think if they had actually read your book they'd know better than to just send a moral equivalence argument.