Tue Feb 6, 8:18 AM ET
According to the AFP:
An Iranian government-sponsored body set up to probe the veracity of the Holocaust has challenged Europe to hand over documents about the mass slaughter of Jews in World War II.The most interesting thing about this is the severely critical editorial about Ahmadinejad in the reformist paper. He's bringing himself down.
Mohammad Ali Ramin, the head of the "World Holocaust Foundation" created after
Iran's controversial Holocaust conference last year, said Austria, Germany and Poland in particular should supply documents.
"They should hand over the proof for the dossier on the organized massacre of Jews in Europe during World War II to the independent international fact-finding committee affiliated to this foundation," the IRNA state news agency quoted him as saying Tuesday.
The foreign researchers invited to the conference -- some of whom have criminal records at home -- gave papers claiming the Holocaust never happened on the scale assumed by the vast majority of historians.
Meanwhile, leading reformist daily Etemad Melli published an editorial by an academic condemning the conference, the latest voice to be raised at home against the gathering.
"The Tehran Holocaust conference gave foreign media the chance to attack the Islamic republic, and several countries and also international figures like (former and present UN Secretary Generals) Kofi Annan and Ban Ki-moon reacted," said Mohammad Taghi Karoubi.
The conference caused Iran "international isolation over an issue that has nothing to do with our national interests and does nothing to help the oppressed Palestinian people," he added.