Monday, July 23, 2007

Denmark and Switzerland: The beginning of a trend or two stupidities in quick succession?

In the previous post I reflected on the Danish Arts Council official who said, regarding a grant to a Holocaust denier, we don't censor opinions. A few weeks ago I posted on the Swiss Foreign Minister who proposed to the Iranians holding a conference at which all views of the Holocaust would be represented... including deniers'.

Is this a disturbing trend or just stupidity on the part of two bureaucrats... or both? I don't mean to suggest that either one is a closet denier. On some level that would be less disturbing. Since they are not, what it suggests is that denial is increasingly being thought of as a "point of view."

These two folks' minds are so open their brains fell out.

2 comments:

Yankee Doodle said...

Iranian President Adminijihad is a case in point: he denies that it ever happened, but he doesn't deny that he wants it to happen again.


"These two folks' minds are so open their brains fell out."

That's pretty funny.

Deborah Lipstadt said...

"Their minds are so open..."

I wish I could claim credit for that statement. I first heard it from my friend, David Ellenson, President of HUC. He heard it from a professor of his at Columbia.